24 June 2010

Peril!

Blast from the Past!  This is an entry I guess I started but never posted about a million years ago.  I found it when I was paging through my Edit Posts menu, thinking about adding tags to my earlier posts.  I thought it was kind of funny, and I continue to hate the wind.  It makes me immediately grumpy to walk out into it.  Enjoy!

This morning, underinformed about the high winds outside, I made the tragic decision to wear a wrap dress, which resulted in my stepping outside and avoiding flashing the neighborhood only through lightening-fast skirt-clutching reflexes, honed by years of living in Boulder CO, where winds can reach hurricane force. Because I didn't have time to change, I am now damned to a whole day of blown-skirt peril, including biking to school one-handed while other hand holds skirt in place, miraculously holding onto bike and skirt and manipulating bike lock simultaneously, and traversing the 5th-story bridge that connects the building with my office to the one with the lab where I work. Freaking wind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can identify with this--it's almost as though I have written it myself! I'm from Oklahoma. There's a song written about Oklahoma in which the first words are about the wind. Le sigh. I am routinely pushed to the shoulder of the road while driving by fierce gusts of wind and also it's a total bummer trying to keep my hair from attaching itself to my vaseline-covered lips. The perils of wind indeed.

Auntie Maim said...

Ha ha! That is something that's always cracked me up about "Oklahoma!" -- they all seem so pleased about the wind.